Friday, May 7, 2010

Bill Halter vs. Blanche Lincoln

So I have spent the last couple of days analyzing the candidates for the democratic primary for senator (I'm sure there is a less wordy version of that, but my brain's fried from my allergies and allergy medicine.)

There are three candidates, but I was only really concerned with two: Blanche Lincoln and Bill Halter. Why am I not concerned with Morrison? Any man who says the government doesn't have the right to tell you how to spend your money (regarding health care), and on the same day says they have a right to tell you what to do with your body (He's pro-life) is not someone I want to look at as a candidate. You can't have your cake and eat it too, Morrison.

So, looking at the two candidates Lincoln and Halter, I found myself wondering who to pick.

Both of these candidates are guilty of some smearing to each other, which I think is just shameful between the both of them. Smear campaigns to me are childish and unbecoming of a person seeking office. But it's become the way of things, so I'm trying to just disregard it. I focused on their responses in the primary, their background, and their records.

After much debate within myself, I'm voting for Bill Halter, and it makes me sad.

Why? Because I have voted for Blanche in the past, quite a few times. I like Blanche originally. But when I tried to contact Blanche last year, she never answered or called me back. I tried calling her this year too.

She's changed her mind frequently, and said one thing and done another.

I just don't know what to think about her anymore.

And then there's Bill Halter.

He's a little more conservative than I usually like, and he seems to pull on people's emotions more than on their minds.

But that just means he's smart enough to understand that people are not always logical voters. Which is pretty smart.

I sent his office a message and they called me within forty-five minutes.

In the primaries he answered questions in a fairly candid manner, which I do like. And when he was asked about social security, he gave a good answer that no one wanted to hear. But it was the truth, and while it may have lost him some votes, it was a good answer.

He talked a lot about what he's done in the past. Some of it was true, and some of it was probably half-truths (In other words I couldn't find another source to prove or disprove what he said). But he makes a promise I'd like to see any other candidate make- no taking money and no getting a raise while we're in deficit. If he follows through on that he'll be my dream candidate for the simple fact that I believe congress is vastly overpaid when compared to local government and lower end federal employees.

There is another thing- Halter got the Lottery passed. I like the lottery, but I don't like how it's being ran right now.

After looking at each employee, I made a call to the president of the AFLCIO. Most of you know that the man is my uncle. But Uncle Alan is more than that, he's my common sense sometimes. I asked him about the candidates. I'd like to tell you what all was said, but I don't know if he'd want me to do that. I will say this:

My die hard democratic uncle would rather vote green party than vote for Lincoln.

That says something.

Taking all things into consideration, I figured I should give Halter a shot. Even if he's not all he's cracked up to be, it's better to give him an opportunity. Blanche had hers, and her turn is over.

When Blanche's people called to ask if I was voting for her, I said I'd call them back and hung up.
When she calls me back about my problem, I'll call her people back about hers.

So, I give my vote to Bill. Please, Mr. Halter, don't screw this up. I want a better Arkansas.

To all of you, who are you voting for and why?

And if you are voting Republican, please still answer, I don't know much about the Republican folks but it seemed like Boozman was the obvious choice for them?

All in all, I'm voting for Halter.

No comments:

Post a Comment